Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Spooky Houses





I got this idea from Arts and Activities magazine from October 2009. One of the standards for 5th grade math is that students will know the difference between 2-D and 3-D. How perfectly does that fit into art? We drew houses first, studying architecture. I collected cardboard for a few weeks and cut it into all different shapes and sizes. Students were given a base piece, and I let them build from there. I have several low temp hot glue guns, so students used those to construct the houses. Students had the option of making a house that was not spooky, as not everyone celebrates Halloween, and I had a few that did. I gave the houses a quick coat of black spray paint, then students added ghosts, spider webs, black cats, pumpkins. I had an assortment of cotton balls, those foam sheets, stickers, glitter pens, google eyes, toothpicks, popsicle sticks, and junk from my craft closet for students to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment